Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Practicing Love



Thunderstorms rattle the nighttime sky, an almost foreign sound in these last few weeks of blasting heat and drought. I raise my hands to the sparkling drops falling from the eaves, say thank you to the Giver of all things good, and jump at the almost immediate flash of lightning crossing the sky--it was as if He was saying "You're welcome." I retreat into the safety of our home, listening to the comforting sounds of friends giggling at an impromptu sleep-over. The wind and heavy rains had kept our friend's mother at home, rather than brave the elements in a small vehicle not meant for navigating suddenly flooded streets. Early morning practice for a new year of our local high school marching band means no more all-nighters for these two giggling teenagers, who soon get their giggles out and settle down for a good rest.






Another phone call. This time it is my husband's supervisor. The lightning has struck havoc with certain areas at our place of employment, and my talented husband is needed to assure continued safety and functioning of medical equipment. "Don't wait up, it's going to be a long night," he says as he redresses in his work uniform, grabs keys and heads out the door. Love exemplified in duty.






Unable to settle down myself, I search for words of comfort. I read posts from other bloggers who are much more consistent than I am. Their posts show true dedication, true love for God calling to them and coaxing words onto the page for other believers to draw strength from. And this word-filled wednesday smoothly rolls into a Thankful Thursday. Thankful for memories of wheat fields in the midwestern US and combines and truck beds filled with golden seeds, young sons behind the wheel learning their father's trade. Those memories now distant, the family farm no belonging to someone else as sons left for cities and daughters married nonfarmers. But thankful to see that somewhere this year, SOMEONE had a wonderful harvest that was not parched and burned or drenched with too much rain. I reflect on other different memories that our own immediate family has made: two goofy girls pulling their hair across their faces to make mustaches in the back seat, sharing sisterly love in what at the time was a rare moment of cooperation without coercion.






I love the blessings in my life. God is good, ALL the time.









1 comment:

  1. Wow! Such a reflective and beautiful post! I love reading about your memories! I lived in Kansas for 8 years and I sometimes miss the wheat fields.

    The girls are beautiful and fun!

    ReplyDelete