Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Faith, Words, Actions

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." -James 2:26 (NKJV)

We hear a lot during the Lenten season about giving up and becoming closer to God in the process. Even if your faith tradition does not observe the Lenten practice of forgoing a certain meal, food item, or favorite caffeinated creation from your local barista, the talk and the thoughts are still present. Many bloggers talk about their mission works, their experiences during their morning devotions, or what they are currently teaching their youngsters.

And I flounder.

I thought long and hard this year about actually giving up something for Lent, because many of my friends follow this practice. But, "the flesh is weak," and the thought of going without caffeine sends me running to my coffee pot. (Glad I never started smoking!) And, several of my online friends who do NOT follow Lenten practices (i.e., fellow church members), made some interesting statements about the practice which I found not necessarily uplifting. Some were joking, but I knew to repost those jokes would be offensive to my friends who DO observe Lent.

And there we have it. Do we really NOT observe Lent by not fasting/giving up something? Easter looms large on the calendar for Christians, and I honestly believe we should be more observant of what the Lenten season means. Ann Voskamp puts it eloquently in her blog "A Holy Experience"--

I
can’t seem to follow through in giving up for Lent.
Which makes me want to just give up Lent.
Which makes me question Who I am following.
Which may precisely be the point of Lent.

I totally get that. So today as I head in to deal with some work issues, I pray for my tongue to be stilled, and for my heart and mind to remember these words: "Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace." (James 3:18, NKJV)  I may not be serving in overseas missions, but my words and actions towards those around me may be enough of a mission right now, considering  my history of having an unbridled tongue. 
Blessings to you who may read this...

No comments:

Post a Comment